Daily Echo: Dorset County Asylum project gets grant. “The asylum, which was originally founded in 1832, was based at Forston House in Charminster, near Dorchester. By the 1860s, this facility was too small and the new asylum at the Herrison site was opened in 1863. Herrison House itself (pictured) was opened in 1904, and in 1940 the institution became known as Herrison Hospital. The archive, which dates back to 1832, consists of 300 boxes of material, including thousands of poignant individual patient records, as well as a wide range of other material – from building plans to the hospital’s farm, and even social activities such as the rounders society.” The institution closed in 1992.