NBC News: FDA warns of methanol-tainted hand sanitizer — but can’t force companies to recall it

NBC News: FDA warns of methanol-tainted hand sanitizer — but can’t force companies to recall it. “A 44-year-old man in the Southwest, seeking medical treatment after his vision suddenly deteriorated in late spring, admitted that he had been drinking hand sanitizer for a few days. Blood tests revealed he had been poisoned by methanol, an extremely toxic form of alcohol that is never supposed to be used in consumer products like hand sanitizer. Despite treatment, he was left permanently blind. The case was part of a disturbing trend that toxicologists in New Mexico and Arizona caught wind of beginning in May.”

Leave a Reply